Chocolate Truffle Cookies
6 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 oz unsweetened CHOCOLATE, chopped
1 c granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c Dutch process cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c confectioners sugar
1. In a small saucepan over very low heat, combine the butter and chocolate.
Cook, stirring occasionally, just until they are melted and the mixture is
2. Pour the chocolate mixture into a large bowl and allow to cool slightly. Stir
in the granulated sugar until evenly moistened. Add the egg and vanilla, beating
until light and fluffy.
3. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to the
chocolate, sugar and egg mixture and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate
until firm, about 1 hour.
4. Preheat an oven to 375°F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
5. Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator. Shape the dough into ¾-inch
balls and roll in the confectioners’ sugar to coat completely. Place the balls
about 1 ½ inches apart on the prepared pans. Bake the cookies until puffed and
cracked on top, about 10 - 12 minutes. They may appear underdone in the center
but will turn crisp as they cool.
6. Allow to cool on the pans for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a
wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 42 cookies.
These cookies are like little baked truffles - so dense and chocolaty on the
inside but crispy and sweetened by the powdered sugar on the outside.