Chocolate Macadamia Biscotti
from the Cake-Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn
1 pkg plain Devil's Food cake Mix
8 tbsp (1 stick) butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the cake mix, melted butter, eggs, flour and macadamia nuts in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until well blended, 3 to 4 minutes. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. The dough should come together into a ball. Transfer it to the prepared baking sheet. With floured hands, shape the ball into a rectangle about 14 inches long by 4 inches wide by 1/2 inch thick. Mound the dough so it is slightly higher in the center. Place the baking sheet in the oven.
3. Bake the biscotti rectangle until it feels firm when lightly pressed with your finger and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35
minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
IMPORTANT: Let logs rest for 10
minutes before cutting.
Leave the oven on.
4. Cutting on the baking sheet, use a sharp serrated bread knife to slice the rectangle on the diagonal into 1 inch thick slices. You should get 14 slices.
Carefully turn these slices onto their sides, using the slicing knife to arrange them on the same baking sheet. Return the baking sheet to the oven.
4. Bake the biscotti 10 minutes. Turn the oven off, and let the biscotti remain in the oven until they are crisp, for 30 to 40 mins more. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, transfer the biscotti to a rack, and allow them to cool completely, 2 hours.